← Back to index
What are the benefits for an organisation choosing to manage unavoidable carbon emissions through carbon offsets?
Tackling climate change at company level can create opportunities to increase its value. Conversely, a poor position can threaten a large share of value. In that perspective, carbon offsets:
• are cost effective action, while evaluating other internal reduction activities that might be more disruptive and costly to the business,
• foster high real impact - with a global requirement of 80% reductions by 2050, most businesses will struggle to make an impact on climate change through internal reductions alone,
• deliver verified emissions reductions, through third party labels and verification processes,
• are simple and immediate to use.
They offer opportunity for an organisation to:
• Be carbon neutral and demonstrate leadership: carbon offsetting is the way to meet a scientifically significant reduction target by compensating for its inevitable, unavoidable emissions.
• Differentiate from less responsible brands: many businesses are now looking beyond their immediate emissions to those created in their supply chain.
• Meet client demand for a strong statement on environmental action and build revenue streams through the development of new product lines which have strong environmental credentials.
• Inspire your workforce to engage with carbon reduction activities in-house as well as retain and attract employees by showing responsibility and action on the environmental impact of the business.
• Prepare for future compliance by demonstrating a robust carbon reduction programme as regulation is evolving quickly on the decarbonisation journey.
• Address investors which show increasing importance to environmental and climate performance, through global corporate rankings such as CDP or frameworks as the TCFD initiative.
Share this post: